Ok ya’ll, this one is exciting for me to share because it’s a DIY activity that I did with my kids that actually turned out like the Pinterest pictures!!!
I was a little hesitant to try this but I’m so glad I did because I’ve made them over and over again. Think Valentine’s Day, Birthday favors, Christmas gifts. And people love that their homemade!
You’ll need to purchase silicone molds before you get started. I ordered them off of Amazon. They were super easy to work with and very affordable!
These hot chocolate bombs are so easy to make. You should have many of these items already in your pantry (if you have kids)! Don't be intimidated, if I can do it anyone can! The only thing I didn't have on hand were the silicone molds. Note that the serving size is for 3 large hot chocolate balls (6 halves). If you have multiple molds, just double or triple the recipe amounts!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Passive Time||10 minutes|
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips I like Ghirardelli
- 1/8 TSP Milk I use Whole because we already have it in the house
- 1 TBSP Hot chocolate Mix I use Swiss Miss or Starbucks
- 5 QTY Mini Marshmallows
- Add chocolate chips and milk to microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Using a spoon or a basting brush, paint the inside of the silicone molds with chocolate. Put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. You may need to coat a second time if you can see any of the mold showing through when you hold the mold up to the light. Freeze for another 5-10 minutes if this is the case.
- Gently pop the chocolate out of the molds. If they' don't come out easy, you either need another coat of chocolate or you need to return it to the freezer. (again, if you can see the mold color showing through when you hold up to the light, you most likely need another coat of chocolate brushed in the mold).
- Add hot chocolate mix and marshmallows to 3 of the half chocolate spheres.
- Heat a small plate for 2 minutes. One at a time, take one of the remaining unfilled half-spheres and gently press and twist on the hot plate to melt Microwave a plate for 2 minutes. Place and empty half sphere on the hot plate and gently circle on the plate to smooth the edges and soften the chocolate. Place on top of a filled half-sphere to create a whole sphere. Take your finger and gently press to trace around the seam of the sphere. This will help meld the 2 half spheres together and seal the chocolate. If any holes appear or the seam doesn't secure you can paint on additional chocolate OR melt against the hot place and use your finger to fill the hole.
- Throw back in the freezer for 5 minutes and they're done!